Wednesday, October 12, 2011

super-duper /ˌsu:pəˈdu:pə /

This expression does not need, I think, much explanation. It may be my own language bias, but I would have expected this to be kind of child speech, so I found it funny to hear it in podcasts relatively often (less frequently would I find it in writing). It seems, however, that also adults resort to it, though it is obviously used as an informal or humorous way, especially when 'super' is just not enough.

I will show two examples, one from a podcast, the other from a forum.

Example 1:

New York Times - Book Review Podcast (Oct 7, 2011) (at around minute 20 of the show)

Sam Tanenhaus: Jennifer Schuessler is here with best-seller news. [...] What's super-duper new on this super-duper list, this super-duper week?
Jennifer Schuessler: Well, we have a new book on top of the fiction best-seller list. I cannot tell you if it is super or duper, I have not read it...

Super-duper: not to be
confused with Super Trouper
Example 2:

Micro Four Thirds, five years from now...
Of course by this time, the new Super-Duper-OLED screens perform so well in bright light that the EVF doesn't even get a mention until page 3 of the press release

I have seen it written hyphenated or separated, it does not matter.

And you know, stay alert... or just follow this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment